26 December 2005

Huntingdon Boxing Day Races - Huntingdon - Monday 26th December 2005

Off to Huntingdon Racecourse for some Boxing Day outdoor action, instead of the Arsenal game. Its actually the first boxing day for 5 years that I haven't watched Arsenal (and I was out of the country for that one), so it seemed strange not to have to brave the non-existant public transport for once.

As is customary at these things I guess, lots of money was lost, until my saviour arrived in a horse called Jupon Vert - my only winner of the day at 4-1. To be fair, it only won because there was a 3-horse pile up at the final fence, but let's not worry about that.

Horse racing is a strange sport - lots of very wrinkly old men there, who normally probably spend all day in the bookies. I cannot understand the attraction of just watching horse races - it seems like the most boring thing in the world. But, when you're at the course and have small amounts of money on them, it turns into an excellent diversion for an afternoon.

No comments: