09 December 2005

Hard Fi - Astoria, London - Friday 9th December 2005

My second time with Hard-Fi in as many months, and my first headline show. Also, back at the Astoria, what a great venue that place really is. We got into the venue just after 8pm, and with no band playing, retired to the bar. No band in fact came on until around 9pm, when Hard Fi unexpectedly appeared, unexpectedly early because of the club nights that happen later on at the Astoria.


I enjoyed the set much more than the Lille gig a month ago, I think because the sound was better in tune with what Hard Fi play, also because the crowd was more up for it, and because they played for longer. The start was electric, and at some points the band were drowned out by the audience - a triumphant homecoming indeed!


I had heard and read about a Hard Fi cover of Seven Nation Army many times before, but tonight was the first time I'd heard it. I thought it was awful - it essentially doubles the number of musicians, but somehow manages to halve the quality of the song. I really don't know why they think that's a good idea - that song will be my "go to the bar/toliet" moment in future!


Other than that, a cracking set, leaving all of the audience wanting much more. Definitely high up the list to go and see next time (and in fact I'll be seeing them in 2 days time again - can't wait).

No comments: