11 December 2009

Work trip to Philadelphia, USA - 7th to 11th December 2009

After a long period of not being able to travel for work (thanks partly to my daughter being born, but mostly to the recession), the credit card tentatively came back out again for a pre Christmas trip to Philadelphia. My office is right opposite City Hall with its statue of William Penn on top, so I snapped this picture as I was heading from one floor to another. Despite the cold starting to arrive for winter, my stay there had nice clear days - and even a day where the temperature got up to 15 degrees, which was a nice surprise.

After almost a year of not going to the US (after a while of going there very regularly), I was surprised at how easily I got back into the swing of things. I made an early visit to Old Navy to stock up on some cheap jeans, and generally found it very easy to slip back into eating burgers and drinking Vitamin Water all day long. A couple of nice meals (complete with over attentive and falsely "happy" service), and it all seemed very familiar again.

The highlight of the trip (not difficult, since the rest of the time in Philly was spent either in meetings, sleeping or eating) was my office Christmas party (or "holiday" party as they insist on calling it. A free bar for 4 hours was certainly as good as you get anywhere else - and by 9pm when the bar ran out, an impromptu pub crawl broke out. I got to see an excellent selection of Philadelphia bars, and luckily managed to remember it all too.

No comments: