26 September 2008

Suddenly Vince, The Belgrave Scandal - Luminaire, London - Friday 26th September 2008

Friday night, and there was a Belgrave Scandal gig to provide something to do. Taking place at the Luminaire, one of London's distinctly better venues, the band were playing just a 4 song set as part of a charity event. But, as an added bonus, each band was also interviewed on stage (by a very over excited female "presenter"), after their set.

I arrived just in time for the start of the Belgrave Scandal's set. Their 4 songs were the fantastic Black Pages, followed by newer song 5 O Clock Shadows, then Take That Train, which went into House Of Cards. A strange set, but then that's what you get with 4 song showcases like this. For me, it wasn't their best 4 songs - Black Pages and House Of Cards are fantastic songs, but the other 2 are not amongst their best in my humble opinion. A decent performance though, made all the better by the venue's decent sound system (which also made the guitars sound ear splittingly loud).

After the Scandal's set (and their interview), I then saw the 4 song set by the next band, called Suddenly Vince. Their style was not exactly my thing, but I thought they did what they did very well. Clearly quite heavy metal influenced, the power guitar chords sounded excellent - but they had much more of a classic indie look. Their second song was a really good one, but the others just didn't quite do it for me. They did it all well, but its just that "it" wasn't right up my street.

So, a quick way to see a couple of bands on a Friday night - good venue, good event, and I got a nice free CD to boot. Excellent value for £7, and all for a good cause as well.

No comments: