22 October 2005

Arsenal vs Manchester City - Highbury, London - Saturday 22nd October 2005



This game will probably be remembered forever, for Pires and Henry's crazy attempt at a penalty routine. Crazy not because it couldn't have worked, but because Arsenal were "only" 1-0 up at the time, with 20 minutes still to play, and Man City coming back into the game. For a full 5 minutes fter the incident, the stadium was echoing to the sound of 38,000 people muttering about it under their breath, and paying no attention to the game. I was in the North Bank, at the opposite end, and must confess that I totally missed it. About 18,999 other people also missed it, and the other 19,000 were busy explaining it to them.

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that at a game before, and probably never will again. That sentence is something that you can say more often than most if you watch Arsenal, and I appreciate how lucky I am, but sometimes I wish they would just dispense with the theatrics, and concentrate on the more boring job of winning games!

We won 1-0, so no harm done in the end. I hope Arsenal get a royalty every time the footage is shown on TV again - that will build 5 new stadia.

No comments: