28 February 2005

The Bravery - HMV Oxford Circus, London - Monday 28th February 2005

One of those Royal Mail postcards arrived through my door last Saturday, saying that I had to sign for a piece of mail. Could be anything, so lucky really that I went to the post office to pick it up on the Monday morning. Because, inside an envelope with my address untidily scribbled onto it, was a wristband to get me into a gig the same evening by the Bravery, at HMV in Oxford Street. One of those where they close the shop and only let wristband holders in. Lucky I went to the Post Office in time.

I got to HMV for the 6pm start time, to find that the Bravery were (just about) onstage already - as I picked my way towards the front, I was struck by the immense wrongness of watching a gig in a fully lit record shop, standing in between aisles of CDs. This was a highly anticipated one, The Bravery having been tipped by both the BBC and NME for big things in 2005.

They sounded good, but it all looked surreal in a big shiny record shop. Their songs sounded unusually quiet for a gig, although louder than a normal trip to HMV, but the lead guitarist in particular sounded excellent. What I did think they lacked was some stage presence, they didn't have the air of being a rock band with any unpredictability at all - very safe and tame.

So, a good gig, the music was OK, but a very surreal expreience indeed to watch a gig in a shop.

No comments: