28 January 2009

Work trip to Frankfurt, Germany - 26th to 28th January 2009

My last work-related travel abroad for a while, took me to Germany to run a training course. As I went through Heathrow, I was strangely tolerant of the BAA employed idiots on security there, knowing that I wouldn't be seeing them again for a while. When I got into Frankfurt and checked into my hotel, I was very surprised to find the shower in the middle of the room, in a glass cube. I must admit that I almost walked into the glass cube when I first got into the room - it made for a strange experience to wake up and see the bathroom right next to my bed. They did hide the toilet in a (small) separate room - and you could watch TV from the shower. An interesting way to make the most of a small room space.

The couple of days I was working were tough, long days - which means that you look forward to the time off even more than usual. The main time off on this trip was a visit to Wagner's Apfelwein tavern - a very traditional Frankfurt restaurant, that has been running for decades. You sat at long wooden tables, drank cold apple wine mixed with sparkling water, and ate pork. Lots of pork - the special was a mixed platter of belly pork, shoulder pork, ribs, sausages, and ham; with potatoes and sauerkraut on the side. Very nice, very filling, and a very good way to kill an entire evening whilst eating and drinking. After the food and drink fest, we headed to a famous music bar called Balalaika - a fantastically atmospheric bar, with jazz musicians getting up periodically to do their thing. A definite note for a return visit, next time I'm in town.

No comments: