04 November 2008

Work trip to Paris, France - 4th to 5th November 2008

I hadn't been to Paris for 9 months or so, and was missing the place. Sadly, however, this trip did not involve the opportunity to see anything except train, station, metro, office, and hotel - then the same sequence in reverse the following day. So, the massive roof of St Pancras station - still amazing even when you see it for the 10th time - was about the most interesting thing I saw on the whole trip. That and the inside of the bar next to my hotel, where I had dinner - which had Good Shoes, The Pigeon Detectives, and Oasis on the stereo - strange but good.

My hotel room was a typical Paris hotel room - about the size of a postage stamp, and of a slightly dubious level of cleanliness and modernity. The hotel was firmly from the 1970s in most ways. What did surprise me was that I had a full 4-poster bed in my room - but then virtually no other floor space apart from that. To take the picture here, I was practically climbing out of the window, so cramped was the room. Made me wonder why they bothered with the stupidly extravagant bed, in a room the size of a broom cupboard. Very Parisian. This trip was very little except travelling and working, but it did at least remind me that I like Paris, and I need to come back for a weekend before too much longer.

No comments: