05 August 2008

Work trip to Hong Kong, China - 3rd to 5th August 2008

After leaving Tokyo, part 2 of the mini tour of north Asia took me to Hong Kong - for about 48 hours, and with rather a lot to cram in during that time. Immediately on landing in China, after being in Japan, politeness levels plummeted, and spitting levels increased noticeably. The flight was half an hour early landing, and within an hour after getting off the plane, I was through immigration, out of the airport, on and off the train into town, and sat in my hotel room in Wanchai.

I was staying at the Renaissance Harbour View hotel, and it isn't just a clever name. Cross one road from the hotel, and you could jump into the harbour. The view from my window was pretty impressive - although I couldn't really see Kowloon because I was facing the wrong way, I got an excellent view down the northern coastline of Hong Kong island, and across to the causeway where the old airport runway used to be. Outside, it was again very hot, sticky and humid - I guess that the weather in much of Asia turns into Singapore during the summer.

On this trip (as well as work), I did lots of eating, and especially drinking. I seem to know a number of people that are working here, so took the opportunity to meet up with them for drinks. On both nights I was in town, we went out to decent bars in lively parts of town (Kowloon and Wanchai) - and I really got the sense that, for an expat, Hong Kong would be a fantastic city to live a party lifestyle in. Food and drinks are cheap, and the Chinese really just aren't interested in going out to get drunk, so that means the whole bar scene is expats only. That, coupled with the standard of living your money buys you, means that you could buy a very decent life out here. As well as the drinking, there was also the eating, and my 2 days in the office each featured fantastic lunch blowouts - dim sum one day, and a big Chinese banquet the other. Fantastic, and having colleagues that can navigate the minefield for you, really does add to the enjoyment.

On my way out of town, I was reminded for the final time that the Olympics are about to hit China (the equestrian events are happening in HK, something the city Government is only too keen to tell you). Everybody seems to be very excited, which in turn started to make me excited about the fact that they are coming to London in 4 years. This countdown clock shows how near the 2008 games are - and it was great to be in the city during all of the buildup, if only briefly. Beijing itself must be crazy right now.

So, back to the airport, and a chance to visit what Forbes magazine think is the best airport lounge in the world. It is certainly the best I've ever been in, by a long way - there is a full restaurant there, where you can order whatever you like, for free. Most lounges have a few sandwiches - here, you can eat lots of great food, and get no bill to pay at the end of it all. They have barmen that will make you whatever you want to drink, a huge library of international newspapers and magazines, and some of the most comfortable chairs in the world. A fantastic place. Getting upgraded on the flight (I have no idea why) also meant that I got more of the same on the plane, so leaving Hong Kong was a very, very good experience all round. Apart from having to leave such a great city.

Last time I came here, just over a year ago, I wrote about how I hated the place the first time I was here, back in 2000. But, second time around, it started to grow on me. Coming back for a third time definitely improved the place some more - I really enjoyed the food I ate, felt a bit more like I knew what was going on in this city, and was much more able to appreciate what it might be like to live and work here (which seems like it would be a good experience). I definitely seem to be liking Hong Kong more and more, every time I come here - hopefully the next trip won't be too far into the future.

No comments: