09 May 2008

Work trip to Chicago, USA - 5th to 9th May 2008

A week in Chicago, at a much better time of year than my previous trip in the freezing cold. This time, I flew out there on Bank Holiday Monday, still with a raging hangover from extended drinking after the Arsenal vs Everton game the previous day. In fact, getting up at 8am UK time to get to the airport, followed by an 8 hour flight, then a half day meeting when I got there, made for something of a day from absolute hell. But, once I had had the chance to get some sleep, the week turned for the better.

Sadly, there were no majorly interesting gigs on in town this week (apart from a Black Kids show which seemed to be at the end of the earth in Chicago terms). Also, the White Sox were in town, but it rained extensively during all of their games, drenching my colleagues, to my amusement. So, it was just work, eat, sleep for a week, with a little bit of sightseeing and shopping slipped in there too.

The experience of going to another city for a week, and being just like a normal commuter (just in a different place) is something I've been getting increasingly used to lately. This being the US, it is a common sight to see people walking along the street, holding those big plastic coffee cups, and practically being hooked up to an intravenous supply of coffee on their way to work. Always something that amazes me - lots of countries like their coffee, but the Americans seem to have the capacity to drink huge amounts of it - the country runs on oil and coffee.

Little else to report from this trip, other than that I was pleased to see Chicago in better weather, I would have hated for my only impression to have been a ridiculously cold wasteland - so it was good to see the place in better climes.

No comments: