17 June 2007

Work trip to Oslo, Norway - 17th to 18th June 2007

Less than 24 hours spent in Oslo for a client meeting, and my first trip to Norway. Being the middle of June, and close to the longest day, I landed at 11pm to find it still pretty light outside, although it had got at least a bit darker by the time I reached my hotel an hour later. A £90 cab ride between airport and hotel (OK, it was a fair distance, but not that far!), reminded me abruptly that Scandinavia is expensive! However, thanks to the fact that it is also pretty advanced, I managed to get through the whole trip without seeing any Norwegian Krone - everywhere took cards, which meant I had absolutely no idea how much money I was spending!

The following day I had a few meetings, then came home. It was a beautiful day in Oslo, the summer sunshine was everywhere, making everything surprisingly warm. I was pleasantly surprised by how green and attractive much of Oslo is, with plenty of waterfront, lots of trees, and not far to go until you hit countryside. The centre of the city looks nice as well - much cleaner than places like London or Paris, and with lots of attractive squares. Having a small population, there will never be as much going on here as in the bigger European capitals, but there aren't many places where you can live in a capital city, yet drive for 10 minutes and be in the countryside. Maybe they don't have it too bad there after all.

No comments: