18 March 2006

Black Crowes - Shepherds Bush Empire, London - Saturday 18th March 2006

Billed as "An Evening With The Black Crowes", this was one of 3 nights where the band played for (literally) the entire evening. First coming on stage at about 7:45, and going off just before 11pm, there was only a 10-minute interlude halfway through. So, almost 3 hours of music promised, from a band that have more than enough material to play for that long.

Inside the gig were more people there on their own than I think I've ever seen at a gig. Lots of people with long hair and/or beards, you could tell that this was one that attracted the Black Crowes anoracks - of whom there are plenty.

I have to say that this gig was something of a disappointment. In a first set lasting over an hour, I would be surprised if the band played more than 6 or 7 songs. The last song of the set lasted for (literally) 20 minutes, when it could have been done much better in 5 minutes, without all the self-indulgent guitar, drum and harmonica solos.

The second set was marginally better, but still suffered from a lack of conciseness - too much oodling around with long solos and jamming sessions in the middle of songs. The musicians in the audience were clearly loving every second, but I really thought that I didn't pay £30 to see a band jamming - you can hear that for free in any student hall of residence.

There were good parts - the band are quite clearly amazing musicians, and the singer's voice is what I can only describe as unique - incredibly good indeed. But, I couldn't help feeling that, given half the time to play in (a hour and a half is still generous), the set would have been much better - more concise, and shorn of all the extravagance and unnecessary self-indulgence.

Maybe, on my first trip to see the Black Crowes, after a decade or more of knowing their music, I completely missed the point of what the band are about. But, if 3 hours of guitar solo is what they are about, it will certainly be my last trip to see them. The highlights of the gig were absolutely amazing, but they came along too infrequently amidst the jamming.

No comments: