21 June 2005

Kings Of Leon - Hammersmith Apollo, London - Tuesday 21st June 2005

Not even halfway through the year, but the award for "hottest gig of the year" has already been won. In fact, if there is a hotter gig anywhere, I won't be there for long, as some fainting will be happening instead! A very hot day indeed, a venue packed to capacity, and a brilliant band that were excellent at whipping the crowd up, all contributed.

Kings of Leon are from the south of the USA, and there are very few bands better at playing the dirty, sweaty, but very cool rock music that they do. They sound like they've smoked a field full of weed, very lazy indeed; but the sound, and the songs, are absolutely incredible. Very few songs last longer than 4 minutes, and many of them run one into another, meaning a pretty much non-stop riot. Amazing live band, as well as one of the hottest gigs of the year, it was one of the best gigs of the year all round.

When I got home after the gig, a thick envelope was waiting for me. A few weeks ago, I entered a competition to win tickets for a day at the Wireless Festival in Hyde Park. I chose tickets for Thursday 30th, if I won. In the envelope were a pair of tickets for each of the 4 days (2 of which I can't even go to because I'm off out of the country). Either a mistake, which I won't complain about at all, or a symptom of great difficulty in selling tickets. I suspect the latter, but will go and have a proper look next week.

No comments: