01 January 2005

Charlton Athletic vs Arsenal - The Valley, London - Saturday 1st January 2005

A very sluggish start to the year for me. Still suffering hugely from the way I saw the year in, I had a tortuous journey to the Valley - during which I nearly turned back to home and bed on several occasions. Arriving in the pub near the away end at about 1pm, I just couldn't face being in a hot, crowded, noisy pub, with the smell of beer. So, unusually, I went into the ground at an ungodly hour, and sat in my seat reading the paper.

It seemed like several others were feeling similar, including some on the Arsenal team! An Arsenal lead was cancelled out almost on the stroke of half time by a cracker from El Karkouri, which no doubt caused something of a shock to the Arsenal team. In the second half, Arsenal were far more business-like, Freddie Ljungberg scoring inside 3 minutes of the half - and Van Persie sealed the win with about 20 minutes to go with a well-worked goal.

I've felt much better whilst watching Arsenal this season, so it was good to eventually get home and collapse after this one - even better that we got the 3 points in the process.

No comments: